Friday, February 19, 2010

The Adventure Starts....

Where to start.... alittle about me.... My name is Emily and I live in Columbus, OH. I love my pets, I have two dogs, Sam and Nala, and two turtles, turtsie and littlefoot. I have a bachelors degree in zoology and I currently work at Ashland Chemical as a lab technician.... So you might ask, "why is a lab technician decorating cakes?" Well... I decided that I need to find something that I enjoy.... I have searched high and low trying everything from photography to playing the violin to find something that I enjoy and am good at. So I just started getting into cake decorating 3 months ago and I am really enjoying it. I think this might be my calling. So I'm here to write about my adventures of cake decorating.
When I learn new techniques, I'll post them. When I get a new cake order, I'll post them... I want to share everything that I learn so that if someone comes along, everything will be right there to help.
I am really excited about this and I love that people are putting trust in me to make their events special. I love challenges so I never turn down a cake idea....


So here goes.....This blog will be longer since I have to catch you up on 3 months of work...



My Very First Decorated Cake...
I just had to represent the greatest football team ever!! This was made using tinted buttercream, I shaped the cake using a serrated knife and piped on the decorations. Not so bad, but tons of things I need to work on.



Kangaroo Cake...

So... not so great... my first fondant covered cake... I rushed to make this and I learned really fast, never put icing on a warm cake!





Coconut Cake...

So my Grandma asked me to make a cake for my Aunt Sarah's Birthday... it doesn't look very good because I encountered so many problems... the cake was too moist and crumbled everywhere... need to make the cake less moist!




Holiday Cake...

So, this was my second attempt at a fondant covered cake... turned out pretty well... Some things that I would change and have learned from this cake is let the fondant harden completely for making bows... follow directions... when it says let it sit for a day, then let it sit for a day!!

Pittsburgh Penquins Cake...

So, this was my first attempt at a tiered cake... I loved it! I had some problems with the fondant. Since the bottom tier is 12", I had to roll the fondant thinner and it tore in a couple spots... This was quickly fixed by a couple decorations and viola! a good looking cake...


Then up, up and away....



The Baby Block Cake....

I started getting lots of people wanting cakes, including this baby cake for a technician that I work with. I made the blocks using foam, because we didn't need that much cake sitting around and covered them in fondant to make it look like cake... I haven't mastered making buttercream frosting look perfect, but it will get there with practice!

Flavia's Valentine's Cake...

I LOVE this cake and how it turned out... It was german chocolate cake with german chocolate filling and then covered in Chocolate Ganache. This was my first attempt with Chocolate Ganache and I am really happy with how it turned out... The bow was a new thing too, thanks to youtube, I learned how to make one and it turned out amazing!


Kitty Birthday Cake...


Lastly, my most recent cake, I made yesterday....I feel after I made this cake, I can accomplish anything... I loved how it turned out... it was made for a chemist at my work, his wife is having a birthday and he wanted it to be from their newest addition granddaughter... I added the picture to the cake to give it more of a personal touch...

This is all I have for now... orders keep flying in, so I will have more coming this way soon enough....

In the mean time, I'm Staying Busy.....
















































No comments:

Post a Comment