Monday, March 15, 2010

3rd Birthday for Twins...

Some one came to me and asked if I could do two cakes for his twin girls who were turning 3. He claimed that they always had to share everything and never got to be individuals, so this birthday they wanted to do something different: separate cakes. I asked about their favorite things and he claimed they each have a stuffed animal that goes everywhere with them. I used this to create the two themes of the cake:

The Doggie Cake:
This is a chocolate cake covered in buttercream and fondant for the decorations. I loved working on this cake because I loved the dog stuffed animal picture that I had to work with. This dog came out looking exactly like the picture and I was so happy with it. To make the 3, I used fondant and sculpted it into a 3, I baked it to give it a different look and to harden it. It is held in the cake using lollipop sticks. The hardest and most labor intensive part of this cake were the paw prints. I had to do each one by hand and it took forever! I'm going to learn how to make my own cookie cutters, my dad promised to teach me!


Close up of the Doggie:
This is a close up of the dog that I loved to make. He turned out so cute and I am proud of myself for making him look exactly like the picture.


The Bunny Cake:
This cake is a white cake but colored pink inside and covered with buttercream and decorated with fondant. I used alot of the same techniques for this cake as I did with the doggie cake. I made the three the same way but using different colors. The bunny didn't turn out exactly like I wanted but it was very difficult giving him the stuffed animal look that I was going for. I wanted him to look like he was slouching and kind of lifeless in a way, like a stuffed animal. The flowers were cut out using two different size daisy cutters and colors and stacked on each other to give a more 3D effect.

Close up of the Bunny:

To make the bunny, I colored the fondant pink. I started with the base of the body, I used a big chunk of fondant to give it a good base. The head came next, I poked two holes for the eyes then rolled some chocolate fondant into tiny balls for the eyes. I rolled a little piece of white fondant for the nose. For all the limbs, I rolled four equal size balls of fondant, and sculpted them into the shaped they were to be. To finish, I cut out a little heart for his belly and gave him some ears.

This weekend was alittle less stressful than the last, which was a nice break. I started off just doing a small cake with no fancy decorations:

To me, it looked like it came from a bakery... I guess thats a good thing... I dunno. I wanted to practice my buttercream skills since they are a weakness of mine. I liked the ridges I gave to the sides of the cake , its still a new technique for me.

Thats all for now.... This week I have a dance themed cake coming up! I'm really excited about this one. As far as I know, this is the only one this week, so hopefully we have nice weather out and I can take a break and get away from the powdered sugar cloud for a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment